Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Oh the SSSS stamp !

Ever wondered you see a strip scene on Television is not as exciting as it is when seen in real life say a public place? That is how the situation is these days when a South Asian flies to any developed country particularly to the UK. When I transited through London from the USA this year on April 06th 2007, the lady with sweet smiles at the customer counter issued me a ticket and had a quick look at me to check if I was a browny, asian accent, long hairs, goatie and quickly checked on her database for "Terrorist- look-alikes" and viola we got a match ! She then stamps SSSS - Selected for Secondary Security Screening. How much I love this stamp?

This invariably happens to all the flights bound UK coz they fear psychologically the South Asians and every Asian traveling in the British Airways would have a story to say ! Now what does SSSS stand for and why am I losing my sleep over it? This means you are a suspect, a potential terrorist, a person with suicidal tendencies (like I have been trying one since age 7!), who could take the whole plane down in a blaze of glory. A few passengers are randomly hand picked for this effort and I was the chosen one this time.

What follows is a completely dehumanising experience. One officer takes away your passport, another your hand baggage, the third looks at your personal belongings and the fourth takes you with him. A special machine that you pass through blows air from head to toe, in search of banned material. Your belt, shoes, wallet, chains, laptop are removed and tested for unwanted material. Even a beep would subject you to further humiliation. Then a chemical is anointed and blotched on litmus paper and the guy slowly opens the hand bag. The fear that the bag would blow up anytime. Then the guy holds the litmus paper in the corner for a while and the color remains unchanged would only give him positive vibes to proceed further more on each and every other stuff. Then finally the most awaited - public strip search. This happens in front of every other passenger while others pass by giving suspicious/sympathetic glances. Your bags are zipped out and returned with everything hanging out. My only companions fellow Asian travelers.

By the time the ordeal is over, I feel my bile rising. I'm returning home after a long and successful trip, but the smile is gone. My feet carried my body and pride to an isolated place. I felt violated, mutilated and molested. As I wear my belt, tuck my shirt in and wear the shoes, I feel like a streetwalker, being bedded against my will. These are the new-age security measures but I look at them with increasing suspicion. Why only the Asians, all the time? I understand where the fear is . Thanks to the same complexioned terrorists who are doing no good to the people here. Welcome to the New Age Air Travel Procedures !

Come to talk about security paranoia, there were very many other close to harassment issues and I am not really against them primarily because that is the only way they can check 'who is who' but make the check a common thing for all the people that travel. Don't hold Asians alone and suggest married Indian Women to either remove their (Thalli) Magal Sutra else a personal check and that is no way to treat a legal travel passenger. Perhaps that is one reason why I don't feel much interested these days thinking about traveling to developed country. Not that I was striped every time but my pride is much above than everything. We would be tolerant to this strip search until there is some peace around and people don't walk around with guns or bombs. That is the present state of the world these days. Imagine doing this to a BLACK AMERICAN? He/She would bring the whole world down.

Since Asians - Mostly seem to be docile and law abiding we take it by the chin but the damage is already been done by the same colored terrorists. We have to go through this procedure and should you ever be "Hand picked" for a glorious procedure like this, remember the saying - "When rape is inevitable, lay back and enjoy".


8 comments:

Aditi said...

hmm i keep hearing that analogy lately..
yeah but i hate the screening too its annoying to say the least but i allow for it considering its for safety and innocents will not be implicated

Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

Hm.. There is no place on earth like one's own mother land! :) In all the other places any1 will b treated like aliens only @ times like these! :)

Vidya said...

If you lay back and enjoy rape, then it is sex da! :D

Too bad that you were selected for screening like this. Tschk...Now I am rethinking about flying BA via Heathrow.

smrtnhuggble said...

OMGGGGGG... same thing happened to me cause i changed my flight from houston to chicago. at the airport i was tagged because i was brown and i changed my flight to a earlier time..
GEez.... i was taken to a different room. my favorite lip gloss which cost my 13 dollars to buy was thrown away - because it could be filled with f'in explosives.
i had to go thru a special search, my purse was almost torn with a knife.. ruined my clothes
WHYYYYYYYYY
CAUSE IM FUCKING BROWN AND I CHANGED MY FLGHT.
WTF !!! sorry i am kinda pissed off abt it. sucky u had the SSSS stamp

Keshi said...

I can sense an unnecessary tension here in Aus too...cos of few terrorists, all Asians get labelled as POTENTIAL law-breakers. NOT FAIR AT ALL.

Keshi.

Preeti Shenoy said...

Was really horrified to read what you were subjected to.I understand the very real security concerns--but OMG--the humiliation is AWFUL.So much discrimination.
I didnt even know there existed something called SSSS stamp.

Home land is truly THE BEST.I was very very adamant that i would never work/stay in a foreign country.Now this post has only reinforced what i feel.There's no doubt in my mind--Homeland is always the best (We may not be as 'developed' and have as many facilities.But hey--you live like a king in your own land--dont you feel?And I am NOT referring to economic status here)

MCC Team said...

Well,I guess because majority of the terrorist activities are done by some brown dude..hence the bias..end of the day,,if it is gonna avoid my plane crash into a building..i dont mind!

Vik Rajagopalan said...

@Aditi:

Yea the saying is so apt here don't you think? Just dont take life serious and not that I hate when I am being checked. Just that there are two laws people around the world seem to follow - "Squeaky wheels get more grease". That is why the Afro Americans go unscathed for each and every thing !

@Pons:

Yes indeed. Jai Hind :-)

@Vidya:

Fair enough either way you end up having fun. That matters :-)

Yea BA is a weirdo flight just watch out for these special treatments.

@Smart and Huggles:

I am sorry to hear that story of yours. It is quite crazy ain't it. Yea it is sad that I was the chosen one. Why is it I get chosen for eventful things such as these? Why not invite me to fall in love with a hot babe? If I ever die, Heck, God sure has lot of answering to do...

@Keshi:

Welcome to the new age. Asians = Terrorist and rest of the world = Peace makers.

Sons of whor** those Islamic terrorists.

@PS:

Yea sometimes such unsavory events does shake us up is'nt it. Sure yea. you have a point :-)

@Kartic:

Thanks mate for dropping by.. Mate, I agree with you coz you are speaking wht I thought. But it sucks to be strip searched by a man.. :-)