Thursday, June 28, 2007

Page rank - Again Google !

I was strangely looking at a tool which claimed it could say how important your site - page is and stuff like that. I was kind of attracted to see how my blog site fared and it's ranking. Well let's not go there. It was heart breaking anyway. LOL

But what prompted me was to figure out how someone could randomly decide what each site was worth and if so the due. The inquisitive feeling got better of my and I visited my ever so trusting Wikipedia to find a solution.

Soon I landed there to find what the term "Page Rank" meant, I was in for some serious surprise. The complexity with which the page rank is computed is mind blowing. Visit the link above and try to traverse the picture on "How Page Rank Works"

Mind blowing arithmetic - perhaps it is so because Google is very protective about it's technology that it would not allow anyone know about the "How it works".

If you are tech savvy and want to know what they are please do check the following links on Page Rank algorithms at your leisure.


I am flummoxed and bemused everytime I see some thing as obscure as this be and yet it just satisfies me that there are so many great scientific inventions and technology never ceases to amaze me. We should be so very grateful to these great minds at work who make our life easy in moving from a limb to another in the big massive dino called Internet.

Fantastic ain't it?

6 comments:

Preeti Shenoy said...

Yes--some interesting links there.W=Even I had wondered how soemone decides how much a blog is worth et etc..Technology fascinates me.But understanding it?well--i'd rather look at a Joan Miro!

Pretty Woman said...

hey vik!
thanks for stopping by, and ur comments as well....

google is by far the most innovative company that I have ever seen...and they never stop to amaze me with their fantastic yet simple tools....

Vidya said...

LOL.. Without bothering to check, I am just going to declare that my blog site is ranked #1 !!!

Vidya

MCC Team said...

Yeah Page rank is google's imp revenue stream as well. There are eve n pure play SEO(Search Engine Optimzation) companies which help clients to improve thier page rank..Huge biz that!

Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

Hm..Interesting info! :) Thanks for sharing.. And u really had patience 2 find these ;) Great!

Vik Rajagopalan said...

@PS:
Joan Miro is no easy puzzle for me as well. Now your statement has put me in a Catch 22 situation LOL.

@Pretty woman:

I agree with you and I echo your feelings. Google's penchant to KISS(Keep it simple, stupid!) is unbelievable.

@Vidya:

I have already resigned to believe that mine has to be numero uno atleast in my dreams.

@Kartic:

Unbelievable that. Wonder why people want that ranking for their pages. What are these cheap thrills for? Perhaps when you have more money, cheap stuffs start to fascinate us I think :D

@Ponnarasi:
Oh yea! I have that immense patience when it comes to learning something but this was like bouncers to me. I never understood what the ranking algorithm was :)

And thanks you guys for writing. Appreciate it.