Saturday, May 05, 2007

Why House Wife and not House Husband?

That brought a smile did’nt it? The title was not carefully chosen to bring a smile on the readers face but it is how I think most times now. Now, a thought like this does not mean I am married or does not mean I am in an affair (DARN!). But, yes, ever wondered why the word “House Husband” is alien to us all? I don’t know why. When a few mates of mine and I were having a cuppa coffee, something came inline with the house wife thingy and I promptly said “House Husband” and every one started giggling (the common girl trait that I don’t like much). I was dead serious and yet they laughed like nuts when they heard that word.

Who coined the word House Wife and why did that same exact person forget to say House Husband? Why is it that most working woman with charming degrees give up work after marriage to become a House Wife? Why is it that a House Wife word seems so decorated and acceptable and not House Husband? Is it because we are trying to be genetically discriminative?Simpler solution is perhaps to make the House Husband word common and yet drive home the point that, if born as a male then you have to go out to work eternally and bring the money and ration home. That way a person like me would not be in grief and would rather be apathetic to the entire usage.


But seriously, am still mumbling, when can someone proudly say I am a House Husband as much as others do when they say "Am a House Wife"?

6 comments:

Preeti Shenoy said...

Thanks for dropping by!

Ah you touched a raw nerve there with the 'house wife' thingy.Guess i'll have to write a post to explain how strongly I feel.May be i will--sometime.

Incrediblyirrational said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vik Rajagopalan said...

To Nithya:

LMAO! I was rolling over when I read your comment which vamoosed. Darn! But yea it was funny as such.

On a hindsight, am a liberal and non orthodox, so you can leave a comment behind any form.

Vik Rajagopalan said...

To PS:

Oh yea ! I did not mean to get you put on your thinking cap and further more did not mean something specific to anyone. Was just a random thought that is all.

Come back some other time.

Incrediblyirrational said...

only my blog eats comments. but mine is honest so it doesn't blame it on the author!!ok here is what i remember of my comment:

somethings are very gender-specific.like how i've always wondered,a naked man doesn't look very attrative to women,let alone arousing them whereas a naked woman sends testosterone shooting up the veins of men.

on a more serious note, people always giggle at anything unusual.give them sometime to take it.i don't know about the "house husband" thing but the "house wife" term might soon become extinct.

ok so that's it i guess. this time your blog better find someone else's comments to feed on.

Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

Thats a very nice thought :)