Sunday, May 18, 2008

Yes - I am busy. I am busy....


Well that is not what I was meaning to write indicating how I was with the things around me but I have been thinking about this so called 'busy people' sucking it all up in the messengers around us with titles like 'I am busy working on a thing and don't disturb unless important'.Now now, I know, the busy word has several connotations. The person is actually preoccupied or an act to fool people around or trying to choose who they want to talk to or just hangin in there watching which person came online and went offline without doing a thing. But I always
wondered why people get into the online messengers if they were that busy and did not want to be disturbed.

I can get that feeling if you are in a messenger at work. Some weird people track when you come to work by the time you log in to your messenger. I had a German manager who used to do that pretty much concluded that I start the day late. How? I log into the messenger at work late by 10:30 ish. Then to wade through these characters who want to take stock of the situation as to when you log into the messengers. It makes sense if you said "Don't bother to respond. It is just for my sick manager who is tracking my activities".

Now how about Gtalk, Yahoo or AOL where people put up this funny one liners under the pretext of being busy. I think if you are so busy then I feel you should not be logged on at all. However, if it is for filtering out people you don't want to talk to, then how about "Blocking" them? That is more easy I say. Anyway, what is your take on when you see such liners when you get into the messenger and see a person has this next to his/her name? How will you react and what will you specifically feel?

7 comments:

Pointblank said...

Well... I put up such messages ALL the time. Ppl have different reasons for it. My reasons are many:

1.I'm actually busy. I'm on gmail reading mails, writing loong mails - which actually take lotta time, or even chatting with a particular person and wouldnt want to be disturbed. So for all of the above, I hafta stay online.

2. Blocking is a pain.
There are days when I can talk to anyone n everyone. I'm in a chirpy mood and wudn mind exchanging pleasantries with anyone.

There are people I can talk to anyday, irrespective of my mood or state of mind. Cuz with them I can be myself. They take me in sickness n health... LOL!

And then there are days, when I can talk only to a few ppl. So there lies the problem. It wud be a pain to block n unblock ppl depending on my mood swings. There cud be ppl I dont generally mind talking to, but like to stay away on certain days.

3. Cuz of the default option. All my contacts on orkut are on gmail by default. Now I do tat cuz m lazy to add the ones I wanna talk to. So easier option this is.

And then, usually when I see a busy message , I dont bother. But with those ppl I can take liberties with, I buzz them and ask if they are busy. If they are, i tell them to carry on. I dont mind tat at all.

And even when m busy, I dont mind ppl buzzing me. I politely tel them if m genuinely busy.

I think all ur questions are answered :P The comment is longer than ur post:P But a sunday it is :)and m not busy! :)

Ram said...

hey there...gangsta. Hows you?

-Ram.

Aarti said...

I am on Gtalk almost all the time when am on the comp.. when am busy, you see the red button on, but that does not mean you dont come over say hi.. if i am wacko busy, i tell u so, otherwise its cool.. :)
this basically cuts off people who are jobless and who have nothing to do, but kill time.. they dont come bug me ;)

I also have fun messages on my status.. it keeps my creative cells going and makes the day better~~:)

Shree said...

First things first, http://sanitypersonified.blogspot.com/2008/05/dudley-gangstas-birthday-today.html

Macadamia The Nut said...

I'd written something similar

http://macadamiathenut.blogspot.com/2007/11/when-i-say-busy-i-mean-busy.html

These days, I prefer the cloak of invicibility :D

Vidya said...

I totally agree with you. If I am busy, then I would not put up a message in Gtalk or Y! that says "I am busy"

However, it depends on what busy means. If you are busy with work that pays you money, then don't log on. If you are busy chatting with someone else or emailing away or blogging away, then put up that message loud and clear! :D

Saritha Rajagopal said...

http://destinyawaited.blogspot.com/2007/06/are-you-busy.html

Sumtin fur u to read!